- Test your home for air tightness. On a windy day, light an incense stick and hold it carefully next to your windows, doors, electrical boxes, etc. The smoke stream will alert you to any air leaks.
- Caulk and weatherstrip any doors and windows that leak air.
- Caulk and seal air leaks where plumbing, wiring or ductwork has penetrated exterior walls, floors and ceilings.
- Install storm windows or replace single-pane windows with double-pane windows.
- When the fireplace is not in use, keep the flue damper tightly closed.
- Install rubber gaskets behind the outlet and switch plates on exterior walls.